Saturday, 7 February 2009
Dora Nkem Akunyili is the former Director General of National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) of Nigeria and current Nigerian Minister of Information. She is a pharmacist, professor and governmental administrator who has gained international recognition and won hundreds of awards for her work in pharmacology, public health and human rights.
* Time Magazine Award 2006(“One of the eighteen heroes of our time") - Time Magazine Inc.
* Person of the Year 2005 Award - Silverbird Communications Ltd, Lagos, 05-01-2006
* Award of Excellence - Integrated World Services (IWS), Dec. 2005
* Award of Excellence - Advocacy for Democracy Dividends International, Lagos, 17-12-2005
* African Virtuous and Entrepreneurial Women Merit Award 2005 - African Biographical Network, Dec. 2005
* Award for the Best Government Parastatal - National Association of Nigerian Students (NANS), December 2005
* An Icon of Excellence Award - The African Cultural Institute and Zenith Bank Plc, 08-12-2005
* 2005 Grassroots Human Rights Campaigner Award London Based Human Rights Defense Organization. 08-12-2005
* Most Innovative Director Award Federal Government College, Ijanikin, Lagos. Oct. 2005.
* Integrity Award 2003 - Transparency International.